Joomla is a free content management system that helps build websites and applications. Content Management System or CMS is popular and sought by many professionals for their website as they can keep updating the data and handle the website on their own. Globally, CMS is responsible for creating around 54 percent of websites, and WordPress is a giant in website development using CMS, but many still prefer Joomla development services.
Like any other CMS system, Joomla CMS is preferred as it is easy to use by any non-technical person also. Written in PHP language, it uses a MySQL database for storing data, and it has all useful features like RSS feeds, search, support, blogs and page caching. Joomla is built on the model that works on the viewer controller web application framework, enabling a user to make changes, view, and update easily.
Discussion forums, photo galleries, eCommerce, user communities, and other applications are commonly developed with Joomla. Joomla, after WordPress, Shopify, Wix and Squarespace is the most sought-after CMS portals available.
The Benefits of Joomla Development
- Free and open source: Joomla is an open-source CMS system used for building websites and online applications.
- Beneficial built-in features: Joomla has powerful built-in features that make it a highly efficient CMS platform to use.
- Faster and secure: Factually, the CMS is never completely secure. Unlike WordPress, Joomla has its own “Joomla Force SSL”, which allows users to activate Joomla SSL Certificate in their core system and not require any more extensions for security.
- Mobile ready: The websites built on Joomla are mobile-ready, and that’s a big plus point as most people these days access the internet via their smartphones.
- User friendly: Joomla websites are user friendly as it is built to be used by non-technical people easily.
- Thousands of extensions and designs to pick from: There are many free and premium useful Joomla extensions that one can effectively utilize.
- Suitable for eCommerce websites: Virtuemart, HikaShop and J2Store are some popular eCommerce extensions by Joomla that let you create your online store and start selling your products online.
- Active forum community: Joomla developers worldwide are connected via a vibrant community to solve problems of each other, discuss and share ideas, while eCommerce website development.
- Easy to use menu creation tool: Adding a menu is very easy in Joomla; just go to the menu, then manage and add the menu. Give the menu an appropriate title and description, then save your changes.
- Built-in SEO functions: Joomla has an SEO Generator extension that automatically creates a set of keywords from your articles posted on your website. Joomla takes care of both On-page SEO and Off-page SEO.
- Supports multiple languages: Customize the language settings and let your users view your site in their local language by quickly installing a language pack.
- Joomla Community: The official website of Joomla is full of resources to help someone new with Joomla development or any Joomla developer who faces difficulty while working on a project related to Joomla. Joomla documentation is an online community manual created in a collaboration that proves helpful for all Joomla developers and learners worldwide. One can find almost 10,000 published articles by Joomla community members that help as a guide to understanding Joomla better.
- Joomla framework: Even though it has several advanced features and extensions, still Joomla is a user-friendly platform that can be used by anyone without any technical knowledge.
Disadvantages Of Using Joomla
- While installing some extensions and plugins, there are specific compatibility issues observed.
- The plugins and modules are not freely available in Joomla.
- While changing the layout, the development gets tricky to handle.
- Joomla websites take time to load as they are heavy.
- Though Joomla offers SEO features, it is still not search-engine friendly.
The new version – Joomla 4
After 16 years since its first release, Joomla came out with its new avatar – Joomla 4, the newer version. Joomla4 has improved in all aspects and is competitive with any other website development platforms, especially any other cms. Joomla 4 brings all-new features and better speed, SEO, accessibility, design, workflow, and much more.
Many people prefer self-development with Joomla being highly flexible and user-friendly, but here is the list of top 8 web development technologies and frameworks you can also explore. However, while it offers thousands of free and premium plugins and features to create a highly appealing website, one should seek a Joomla development company for Joomla development services.